Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Best American Short Stories 2013

Years ago, my mom used to receive the full series of Best American writings at work (one of the perks of working in a university English department!) and would pass them along to me. My source dried up when she changed jobs and I can honestly say I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading these anthologies.

The title, of course, says it all. This is a collection of the best short stories published in 2013. The style and setting of each varies, from those set centuries ago to those that border on the dream world. My favorite was the very first, which is set in an unnamed South American country, in a dusty, forgotten town, in the aftermath of a patriarch's death, in which the protagonist finds himself wrestling with promise and prosperity and unfulfilled ambitions.

The beauty in all of these stories is the writing, though. Few pleasures in life are greater than immersing oneself in truly fine writing and that, above all, is what Best American Short Stories offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment