Friday, August 29, 2014

All Fudged Up

Last week was ice cream and this week was fudge. Sounds like my last vacation. In any case, my local library was highlighting this book for its Michigan flavor: a murder mystery set in a Mackinac Island fudge shop.

That is, Allie McMurphy has just inherited a Victorian inn and attached fudge shop from her recently deceased grandfather when she opens a closet door to find one of the island's longtime denizens dead on the floor. Since her grandfather had an open and long-running feud with the dead man, and since he certainly didn't die of natural causes, she finds herself at the center of a murder investigation that threatens to derail everything she's worked for.

Okay, so, it's a bit over the top. Honestly, everything about All Fudged Up is over the top - I mean, the author has chosen the pen name of Nancy Coco, which caused my husband to groan audibly when he saw what I was reading. Also, the recipes - which appear to be somewhat randomly inserted throughout the book - are rather awkward. I would have preferred a recipe collection at the end, although I don't typically pick up a mystery in order to improve my cooking (or candy making). I struggled with the prose for the first 50 or so pages as well: these are not beautiful, flowing sentences with vivid descriptions and there is nothing subtle about the writing or word choice. Still, the mystery was well constructed and this was a quick, fun read without any emotional investment.

Nancy Coco may not be Agatha Christie, but I am already on the waiting list for the next book in the series, To Fudge or Not to Fudge. Happy eating...er, reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment