Sunday, June 1, 2014

One Summer: America, 1927

I am finally getting around to reviewing Bill Bryson's One Summer, which I read while I was in Japan last month. I was previously familiar with Bryson only as a travel writer; I needed something to read in e-format, though (no sense carrying 40 pounds of books across the Pacific), and my library had this title available.

I loved it. Even though today is but the first of June and I have, hopefully, more than half a year of good reading ahead of me, I'm certain One Summer will make my "best of" list at the end of the year. The summer of 1927 was one heck of a summer and Bryson covers a tremendous amount of ground here. This was the summer of flight, when flyers disappeared one-by-one in their quest to cross the Atlantic and one Charles Lindbergh actually made it to Paris. This was also the summer of baseball, and specifically of the New York Yankees and the long ball - Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig were in fine form that summer, hitting balls out of the park with a regularity never before seen, and that would not be seen again for some decades. Prohibition was in full effect; Bryson references some of Daniel Okrent's more colorful anecdotes from Last Call: Rise and Fall of Prohibition in America, which was one of my favorite 2011 reads. And, of course, we couldn't have prohibition without Al Capone, Chicago, and the mob. (My favorite Chicago mob story actually dates to 1921: when Anthony D'Andrea died, his honorary pallbearers included 21 judges, nine lawyers, and the Illinois state prosecutor.)

Michigan (the state, as well as the university) gets a fair amount of coverage here, too: Lindbergh's parents are UM grads and his mother teaches school in Detroit. (His father is dead.) Henry Ford is going crazy preparing to build a new kind of car, hating Jews, and trying to build an empire in Brazil ("Fordlandia," and neither Bryson nor I made that up), all from the happy confines of southeastern Michigan. And, as an example of how the world has always been populated by deranged and angry folks, Bryson also writes about the school bombing in Bath, Michigan.

And so much more. Calvin Collidge chose not to run for re-election. Four bankers set the world on a path to the Great Depression. Hollywood transitioned from silent film to talkies.

Bryson does a remarkable job exploring the personalities, politics, and problems that captivated Americans that summer and that would ultimately shape the course of the country from entertainment to economics, sports, politics, and the idea of celebrity. He is, as ever, highly readable, engaging, and not a little irreverent. Come one, come all to the pages of One Summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment